66124 4C94 Cwmbargoed 31/08/17
Cwmbargoed Disposal Point and Washery, north east of Merthyr Tydfil, processes coal from the nearby Ffos-y-fran opencast mine (and land reclamation scheme) which opened in 2007. It is expected to continue production for a total of 15 years. The washery opened in 1959 and was refurbished in 2015, to provide high-quality coal for steel making at Port Talbot (and, until earlier in 2017, electricity generation at Aberthaw power station). The coal leaves via the freight-only line to Ystrad Mynach, a route built by the Rhymney Railway and which opened in January 1876. This had branches to Taff Merthyr and Deep Navigation collieries, and Trelewis drift mine. The section north of Cwmbargoed, to Dowlais Furnace Top, closed in 1983.
This view was taken on 31st August 2017. DBC-red 66124 has arrived on the 4C94 0837 empty HTA hoppers from Margam. The train has reversed from the headhunt loop all the way into the washery, and will draw forward for loading. Once complete, the loco will haul the 6C94 1545 departure forward to the headhunt, run-round, and depart for Port Talbot.